Hempstead in Essex
Resting place of William Harvey and Sir Eliab Harvey and birthplace of Dick Turpin

Parish Council Minutes 11th March 2010

11th March 2010

CONFIRMED MINUTES OF A PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON
THURSDAY 11 MARCH 2010
The Council met in the Village Hall on Thursday 11 March 2010 at 8pm.

Present:

Also Present:

Apologies:

  1. MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 11 FEBRUARY 2010

    were taken as read and signed as a correct record by the Chairman.

  2. MATTERS ARISING

    • Mrs Scott had contacted Jill Palmer, Group Manager, Essex Libraries with regard to the possibility of the mobile library visiting the village to co-ordinate with Pre-School. Ms Palmer advised that the timetable for the current six months was already set but would be very interested in taking this into account when setting the next six month’s timetable. She had also provided a poster for the Parish noticeboard.
    • The Clerk has drafted the Annual Report for 2009/10. This will be circulated for comment before the end of March.
  3. CORRESPONDENCE

    • UDC
      advice of litter picking tools available to borrow – to be forwarded to Brian Ray. – Action CD
    • RCCE
      Best Kept Village 2010 competition – application form received. Whether to enter the competition was discussed at length as it was felt that the questions follow a specific agenda regarding young people, old people and sustainability. These questions have a strong bias to a political agenda, potentially discriminatory, and not at all suitable for a village of our size or demographic make up. Finally the decision to enter was put to the vote: Mr Haylock, Mr Drane and Mr Weedon voted to enter and Mr McCarthy, Miss Frost and Mrs Scott voted not to enter. As such the casting vote went to the Chairman and Mr McCarthy continued to vote against entering the competition this year. However, Miss Frost will write to the RCCE to explain our reasons for not entering and our hope that we can do so again in the future. The Best Kept Churchyard competition will still be entered – Mr Weedon was handed the relevant form. – Action DF/AW
  4. PLANS & OBJECTVES

    the 2009/10 schedule was discussed and updated. The Clerk will circulate the 2010/11 schedule and post a copy on the noticeboard and the website. – Action CD

  5. ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES

    allocation of roles remains the same and Mrs Scott was asked to take on Young People. It was reiterated that there were no specific activities at the moment in this field but she was asked to remain aware of any potential issues that may arise. In addition, Mrs Scott has agreed to take on the Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator position from Mr Rennie. As such the liaison for NhW will be with Mrs Scott; Mr McCarthy will retain liaison with the police. The Clerk will circulate an updated listing and post a copy on the noticeboard, the website and advise Ambo accordingly. – Action CD

  6. MEETING REPORTS

    • North Uttlesford Community Forum
      last meeting 11 February – no minutes received to date.
    • Parish Planning Workshop
      no meeting since last report.
    • West Essex Area Forum
      last meeting 9 March 2010 – no attendance as agenda not specifically relevant.
    • Walden in Transition
      no meeting attended since last report
  7. ENVIRONMENT

    Village Green Issues
    ongoing – Action DH/DF

  8. FINANCE

    The final tranche of the P3 grant has been received totalling £1,000.

    The following accounts were approved for payment and cheques drawn up:

    RD Haylock & Son Path cutting under P3 £1,150.00
    Home Start Donation £50.00

  9. HIGHWAYS

    Cllr Walsh (when sending his apologies) reported that Cllr Hume has signed off a Cabinet Member Action in respect of compulsory purchase of any outstanding land for the footway project. Hopefully, he will not need to exercise that option.

    Mr Drane was continuing to liaise with Ray Curtis (ECC Highways) with regard to the poor condition of the roads and other outstanding issues. The posts at The Wash had been repainted. – Action DD

    The Clerk was asked to invite PC Dawn Bamford to one of our forthcoming meetings to discuss local issues. The Clerk was also asked to try and arrange for a speed check to take place in the village in the near future. – Action CD

    Mr Sladen and Mr McCarthy had re-erected the dog litter bin near the bus shelter.

  10. FOOTPATHS

    P3
    ECC’s latest proposal for P3 strategy is to get landowners onto the Headland Management Scheme (HMS) before the end of March 2010 and the only contractor cutting would be focussed on tourist honeypot areas or prioritised paths under a Service Level Agreement and all other paths would be cut by ECC contractors. Miss Frost and Mr Haylock agreed that with all the issues which need to be considered before signing up to the HMS, completion of this before 31 March was virtually impossible. The Clerk was asked to write to the PRoW officer at ECC to point this out and ask that in the interim Hempstead be able to continue to use a contractor for 2010. Mr Haylock will liaise with ECC to establish the rules of the HMS and report back at the June meeting. – Action CD/DH

  11. MAINTENANCE PROJECTS

    • Drinking Fountain
      Mr McCarthy and Mr Haylock had again reminded Mark Halls of the outstanding work
    • War Memorial Surround
      Mr McCarthy was in contact with a contractor who makes his own paving – a quote for supply and/or labour is awaited. Mr Weedon will contact War Memorials Trust (formerly Friends of War Memorials) to investigate potential funding. – Action SM/AW

  12. COMMUNICATIONS

    Website – various updates are in progress.
    Newsletter – next newsletter deadlines 20 March and 20 April 2010. Mr Weedon reported that the distributor for Anso Road had moved away and he will distribute this area until a new distributor is found. – Action AW

  13. EMERGENCY PLAN

    Anso Road had flooded in places recently as the concrete slipways had not been reinstated following ditch work. Mr Drane was asked to liaise with Highways about this and to ask for all drains in the village to be jetted.

  14. PLANNING

    • PLANNING – UTT/1803/08/FUL – Lakehouse Farm
      no decision to date
    • Enforcement Notice ENF/170/09/B – Anso Corner
      tyres dumped in ditch
    • Enforcement Notice ENF/264/09/B – Harvey House, Hempstead Hall
      business being run without planning permission
    • Enforcement Notice ENF/93/08/B – Barn at Hempstead Hall, Finchingfield Road
      Possible breach of condition C.6.2 of planning permission UTT/1604/04/FUL

  15. VILLAGE HALL

    the outside tap has not been reinstated

  16. STANSTED AIRPORT

    nothing new to report.

    Future meeting dates – Friday 23 April (revised date), Thursday 13 May and Thursday 10 June2010.

    Annual Meeting Date – Friday 14 May 2010

    The meeting closed at 9.20pm.